Portland 2019 Analytics Symposium Video: Marc Demarest
Information Economy Mapping
Marc Demarest – CEO & Principal, Noumenal
Every organization has a naturally occurring information economy. The rules of other economies hold: there is supply and demand, supplier and buyer power, competitive alternatives, infrastructure, regulation, taxation, and more. Two important rules of thumb: demand always finds a way to get its needs met, and there are legitimate, necessary restrictions on freedom.
Roughly 80% of organizations have a Soviet-style, state-controlled information economy. In the other 20% it is a laissez-faire, demand-style information economy. In every organization it is important to know where you are and